RMP Licensing: Serial Numbers and Identifiers

We’ve had some licensing issues come up in the past few weeks that have demonstrated that I don’t fully understand some things about RMP licensing that, perhaps, I should.

Long ago, (prior to 8.1, perhaps), RMP generated a serial number based on host criteria. E.g. NIC MAC addresses, CPU info, hostname, etc. (It’s not crucial that I know what was in the criteria list—as people tend to be hush hush about their licensing stuff, lest the hackers know more than they should.)

Since then, RMP switched to use the INtime USB hardlock as the sole source of a unique identifier for the machine. (Is that correct?) My expectation of this is that I can take the USB hardlock, put it in an altogether different machine, copy the (rsi.lic) license file verbatim to the new machine, and it should work.

You guys have since updated the licensing page to include the RMP serial numbers. Thank you for that. The page now has plenty of useful info for me.

It also used to be the case that the RMP serial number was identical to the serial number on the USB hardlock, which was an unsigned 16-bit value.
It seems that this is no longer the case. There are times when it would be useful to be able to translate from the INtime identifier info to the RMP serial number (e.g. so I can locate a license on the portal). Is there a mapping function (that I’m permitted to know) that I could use to move between these disparate numerical spaces?

Also, is there a programmatic/software method that I could retrieve the INtime identifier info? We have customers for whom it’s burdensome to have them open the control, extract the dongle, and read the number off the hardlock. If there were a way that I could detect it (analogous to what RMP is doing), that would be really useful for providing good support for our customers.

Yes the INtime USB serial number is used as the RMP serial number.

You can use rsiconfig.exe to get the serial number on an unlicensed system:

rsiconfig -get-serial