"An unexpected error has occurred in RapidSetup"

We generally use the zip archive of RMP. I “upgraded” (replaced the RSI directory) a customer from 8.x to 10.4.3, and when I try to start RapidSetup, Windows complains.

If I install the 10.4.3 MSI, then any attempt to start RapidSetup works (from any location). If I uninstall RapidSetup (via MSI), then attempting to invoke RapidSetup from the “updated” directory (not the MSI install target), fails with the same error.

This seems like a missing software dependency, but I can’t tell from the error info. What did the MSI do/undo that made a difference?

I didn’t notice the MSI install installing any bundled runtimes or anything. I was hoping that it would tell me what it was doing, but the GUI didn’t provide any such info.
I looked in the install logs (created using msiexec /i RMP_10.4.3.msi /lxv* path\to\log\file), but I didn’t perceive (totally subjective on my, uneducated, part) anything that seemed like something RapidSetup would need.

ActionStart(Name=ProcessComponents,...)
ActionStart(Name=InstallFiles,...)
ActionStart(Name=CreateShortcuts,...])
ActionStart(Name=WriteRegistryValues,...)
ActionStart(Name=RegisterProduct,...])
ActionStart(Name=PublishFeatures,...)
ActionStart(Name=PublishProduct,...)

It is possible that the msi is setting the system path.
You may need to add your new directory to the system path.

Would that change something for RapidSetup.exe when I launch it from the directory its normally in? (I can only speculate at the moment, because the problem is only happening on a customer machine.)

I’ll have to ask around regarding that error message.

We try to keep the MSI installer as lightweight as possible:

• a desktop shortcut for RapidSetup
  • a registry setting for “RSIFolder” in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\RSI
  • a merge module for “Visual C++ 2019 x64 Runtime” (aka Microsoft_VC142_CRT_x64.msm)

I will suggest to also try this:

https://docs.roboticsys.com/rmp/faq#rapidsetup-i-am-seeing-this-error-popup-the-type-initializer-for-rapidsetup.containerhelper-threw-an